Instead, it's wiser to look out for some of these key signs. While this list is not exhaustive, it should provide some helpful guidance for your decision process.
As a leading Denver web design firm, we understand the value of the customer's voice. That's why you need to think critically about your site from the perspective of your customer base. It may even help to survey some of your customers to get their opinions and better understand common pain points on your website.
1. The Site Appearance Feels Outdated
Your website creates the first impression of your brand for your customers. Your website may have looked trendy and fresh when you first designed it, but web design trends change every year! For that reason, your site may look outdated to many visitors.
A good way to gauge your site's visual appeal is to compare it against your competitors and other sites you like to visit regularly. Compare things like:
- Fonts - Are the fonts on your site difficult to read? Do your pages feel cluttered?
- Images and Videos - Do the images on your site feel like stock photography from years ago? Do your competitors have videos on their sites?
- White Space - Do your competitors use white space regularly to add an impact to their content?
- Color Scheme - Even if they match your branding, do your color schemes feel jarring or outdated when compared to your competitors?
If you feel like your web visuals aren't matching up to other modern websites, it's time to update your site.
2. Your SEO Is Struggling
The landscape of search engine optimization (SEO) changes all the time. It's reported that Google changes its search engine algorithms around 500 to 600 times in a given year (Search Engine Land). While most of these updates are small and often go unnoticed, Google still releases plenty of major updates that can drastically change the SEO landscape.
If you've noticed that your SEO is starting to struggle to generate leads for your business, it may be time to upgrade your website. Updating your site will allow you to rework the content on your website to add in keywords and phrases. In addition, a site upgrade will also help you address any underlying technical SEO issues, like duplicate content, broken internal links, and so on.
3. Your Website Is Difficult To Navigate
How easy is it for a new site visitor to find information on your website? Is the site structure intuitive? Does your menu have an overabundance of items to choose from?
Overly complicated site navigation can lead to a poor user experience. If users can't access the information they need quickly, they'll grow frustrated and abandon your site.
We recommend taking time to evaluate your site's navigation by reviewing your:
- Menu location - Your menu shouldn't be in an awkward location, like the middle of the page. It's best when the menu is displayed at or near the top of the page.
- Menu labels - Are your menu items generic and nondescriptive? If so, your users might be getting confused as to which items to click on.
- The number of menu items - Too many options is never a good thing for your customers. It's best to keep things simple and succinct.
4. Your Site Takes Too Long To Load
When you click onto a website, how long are you willing to wait for it to load? Chances are, you won't wait very long.
In fact, one study of 4,500+ individuals found that 7% of people expect the site to load immediately or they'll abandon it (Imperva). 20% claimed they'll wait for 3 seconds before leaving and another 35% will wait no longer than 5 seconds.
According to this study, if your site takes longer than 5 seconds to load, you'll miss out on 62% of your total site visitors. That's a significant number of prospective customers that may never return to your site.
Upgrade Your Web Design In Denver Today
Is your SEO is tanking? Does your site take forever to load? Or has it been 5 years since you last upgraded your site? If you're ready to change and improve your website design, you've come to the right place.
Real FiG Advertising + Marketing is undoubtedly one of the top Denver web design companies. For over a decade, we have been building custom websites for small businesses all across the metro area. Through our iterative and communicative design process, we'll make sure your custom web design matches your vision perfectly and blows your competition out of the water.
Contact Real FiG Advertising + Marketing today to learn how we can improve your web design in Denver.